Friday, January 19, 2007

A gust of pain

That is some brutal wind today. Did some lactate threshold training at Hains Point during lunch today that the wind turned into absolute hell! I was pretty excited about it since I thought I felt pretty good after taking yesterday off but as soon as I took my first blow from a 20+ gust I knew it wasn't going to be fun.

The last LT workout I did the others I was riding with must have gone much slower because this time they absolutely crushed me from the start; even going with the wind. Once I got to the up wind side there was no where to hide for the six or seven minutes of hitting it into the wind.

My first 20 minutes was pretty good dispite the wind and I think I did pretty well keeping my wattage up going into the wind. The second though I definitely flaked out on and didn't keep my head in it as well. Now I can understand why Scott said it is probably more of a mental workout then a physical one. Anyway, the legs were basically rubber when I got back to the cube and I probably spent at least the first hour and a half just recovering from the workout.

Riding home it seemed like the wind had even picked up as I was nearly blown into a car by the first blast when I came out of the garage. I'm cool with cold but I just have such a hard time when I getting tossed around like a rag doll by the wind. As Scott likes to say, you only get better by working at what you're not good at.

Pretty excited about tomorrow as I'll be getting out on the mt bike for the first time in well over a year. Joining up with one of my sister's ex-boyfriends from high school who is working at Capital Hill bikes now and going to the Avalon area of Patapsco Valley State Park up in Baltimore. Really need to pull out the bike tonight and make sure it is all tuned up and ready to go tomorrow. At least one other guy from the Racing Union is joining us though and we may even get a third. I'm glad everybody seems so willing to get out and do all this shit. Trail running last weekend, mountain and road biking this weekend and beers will be sure to flow as well.

Sunday will be another long and relatively easy ride with some teammates out of DC. Doesn't get a whole lot better then this. Hope the wind dies off a little though at least.

No comments: