Monday, January 04, 2010

The year to come in racing

I managed my pretty thorough twenty oh nine round up and review which naturally ought to be followed up by a goal setting entry for twenty ten. Only problem is, I haven't really come up with any goals yet. I've laid out a couple races already in my '09 round up but other then those two (Bull Run Run 50 miler and the SM100) I'm pretty unsettled. I can lay out a few that I'm pretty sure I'll hit but otherwise I'm going to be pretty general here and allow myself some wiggle room. I hate "announcing" I'll be doing a race on this here blog and not following through. If anything this blog is meant as a motivator for me to carry out the plans I set for myself.

Early this year will likely see a higher amount of base training then in years past with a bit of a focus on running as opposed to riding. As difficult as it can be to get out for rides this time of year between the cold and the general freeze/thaw conditions running will generally be an easier option. Also, with the Bull Run Run coming in April an early year focused on running long is a must.

I may try to get into a few other trail races of shorter distances as well though something like the EX2 trail running series I feel is too costly to justify doing without signing up for the entire series which I feel would be too heavy a commitment. I've also had my eye on the Washington's Birthday Marathon ever since I saw it run by while sitting in my backyard two years ago. The February 14th race date this year would give me just enough time to ramp up the mileage before the race and the $30 reg fee provides reason enough for a Boston Qualifier. Add to that the ability to run to the race start and not even break a sweat during the trip or the trip home post race.

In May I'd like to try to get out and volunteer at one of the aid stations for the Massanutten Mountain Trail 100 mile race; an idea Matthew and I batted around post snow run last month.

As the weather gets nicer I'll be looking to ramp up the miles in the saddle; this year with a focus more on road miles for bigger base. Joining Darren on his longer and hillier rides and getting out to Fredrick once a month or so would be hugely beneficial. Once the season hits I'll probably, with the exception of Big Bear for which I'm undecided for now about, do the same 12 hour races I did in 2009. Lodi and Cranky Monkey and maybe Leesburg (though its probably too early post 50 miler) and definitely 18 hours of Scouts Honor which I've only heard great things about.

For shorter races I'm a bit less excited. The EX2 races again are a bit more then I want to spend and the fast short distances don't suit my goals for the season at all. On the other hand I'd like to try some different events like the Greenbrier Challenge marathon race and the Michaux races sound pretty epic as well.

Come fall I'll probably race at least a handful of cross races this year; maybe even on a reasonable cross bike though I won't be holding my breath on that one. In general fall will likely be when things start to ramp down and I'll likely ramp back up my running and maybe look into a few Fat Ass races to run and or volunteer for.

One more thing I want to try to do this year is work races into any travel I might do. Last year I just missed a few TN races while visiting Aimee's family in Knoxville but maybe this year I can figure out some races in totally new locales to try out (Aimee willing of course).

Of course, at this point I haven't laid any of this out on a calendar and really I've just basically sounded it out for this forum so I'm not really holding myself to most of this. In the end though all of these events are things I really think I'd enjoy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit nicely into the package that is my upcoming year. I'll continue to work things out for the season and try to come up with at least 3 month plans for upcoming races as the year goes on.

No comments: