Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Marathoning on Ice

My recent training “regiment” has been ridiculously poor. Between two weekends in a row of traveling to snowy areas and poor roads for running I have not gotten out for a good long run for a few weeks and even the weeks before I was spending my time biking instead of marathon training. Oops; I’m feeling that now as I break back into my training and trying to pick up somewhat close to where I should be at this time. Along the lines of my official training schedule I should be putting in about 15 to 20 miles during the week this week and 12 on Saturday. I did about 5 or 6 this morning and am planning on taking a similar run tomorrow so I’ll probably plan on more of a 15 or so mile run on Saturday and maybe an easy bike on Sunday. Next weekend it’s around 18 miles and the following is the big 20 before tapering back down a little bit before the race so I better get cracking.

This morning was pretty great despite the frigid temperatures. After the first five or ten minutes I’d warmed up enough that I was perfectly comfortable and the ice forming out of condensation from my breath in my beard added a level of satisfaction you just don’t get on the typical run. It’s not really that I enjoy having ice in my beard; I didn’t really care about that one way or the other since my face was still warm enough that it didn’t affect me, but knowing that it is cold enough for that and I was still out training is a pretty good feeling. Hopefully I can channel that feeling even further into my training and keep myself motivated for the next 5 weeks up to my marathon.

As for my running attire, it looks like I may just have the right thing coming through my ultimate crew… SWEET!

No comments: