Friday, May 09, 2008

Alright, back to our regularly scheduled programming of self absorbed proclamations and intentions; or something like that.

I've been working to figure out what I want to do with my season; from road racing to running to mountain biking to triathlons. It's looking like my focus will be centered around the triathlon. At this point I don't really have any road racing on my radar aside from the Greenbelt series so I may just stick with that. I've been loading up my calendar with area triathlons though, so think I'm hooked.

So, for what it's worth this is what I'm thinking for my 2008 season:
Completed:
4/19 Leesburg Baker's Dozen
4/20 Kinetic Sprint Triathlon
4/27 GW Parkway 10 Miler
5/4 Nanticoke River Sprint Triathlon

Still to come:
Weekly Greenbelt Training Series Road Races
Weekly Wednesday's at Wakefield Mtb Races
5/11 DC Tri Training Duathlon
6/1 Cascade Lake Sprint Triathlon
6/7-8 24 Hours of Big Bear
6/29 General Smallwood Sprint Triathlon
7/20 Pittsburgh International Distance Triathlon
7/27 New Jersey State Sprint Triathlon
8/16 Luray Sprint Triathlon
9/7 Cape Henlopen Half IM Triathlon... Ultimate season goal...?
9/7 Also Annapolis International Distance Triathlon
X/X Other Half IM Triathlon?

This is a tentative plan at this point, but it's a decent outline for my season could look like. In September and into October there are a number of additional triathlons I am eyeing, though I'll wait on any decisions on those. Currently I'm signed up for Greenbelt (season pass), the DC Tri training Duathlon, Big Bear, General Smallwood tri and the NJ State Tri. I'd really like to get to Pittsburgh and do the tri this year since I was initially supposed to last year but I'm unsure of the logistics of that one. I may do it, spend a day or two there with friends, head to Eastern PA to hang out with Pops at the house there and then do the NJ State tri kind of on the way home but we'll have to wait and see.

As for the September 7th race, I really want to do Annapolis; it's close, supposed to be beautiful, Brian is doing it... On the other hand my goal is to do a 1/2 IM by the end of the season. I'm sure I could find one somewhere else; there is the Briarman Half lite but that may be hillier then I want to go for on this go round. Maybe a bit earlier; I could look into something in August.

Goals for the season? I want to win my age group, though in reality I really just want a top 3 finish in my age group. Most of these races appear to not have the Elite category so overall wins I know are probably a bit hefty expectations for my first season of triathlons. I do however feel that I have what it takes, at least in the sprint category to place top 3 in the age group. Had I not fumbled a bit at Nanticoke (I know smaller race, less competitors) I could have jumped a spot or two; just have to get that extra little drive.

So there it is, my current plan for the season. I'm sure I'll change things around as time goes by but hopefully this will fill a nice outline for me.

No comments: