Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back to the (attempted) start

This coming Sunday, the 26th I'll finally be participating in the Pittsburgh Triathlon. Two years ago I made a big fuss over signing up for the race that year for what would have been my first triathlon. Then, playing bike polo I crashed, hurt my shoulder and fell off my swimming and training in general pretty hard and gave up on that race.


A few years ago a couple of my closest buddies from college and I headed down to Virginia Beach to run the Shamrockfest Marathon. In the same spirit I invited them to try out the Pittsburgh tri with me this year and they were game. Their training got a bit waylaid by life (school, impending doom marriage, work, etc...) and we collectively decided on the new sprint distance.

While for the marathon we intentionally stuck together for the majority of the race, this time we'll be on our own once we hit the water. I'm feeling pretty good on the bike and running right now so I think I should be able to do fairly well. The swim is only 600 meters too so a sprint it truely is. Hopefully my buddies will enjoy the tri as much as I have and will be hooked and joining me for more down the road.

No comments: