Thursday, January 17, 2008

The power of the interwebs...

Saw the article yesterday in the Post in the Muslim high schooler disqualified from her regional track meet for her body covering custom track suit.

Pretty bogus I'd say; I actually was contemplating writing a letter to the county about it. Though I think the publicity it's now getting should do more then I could possibly do with a letter...

Front and center this morning on Yahoo News...


I hope she gets an invite anyway to the New Balance Collegiate Invitational despite not being able to qualify officially since she didn't get the opportunity to compete here.

And this little bit ""What she needs to do is get some religious documentation saying it's part of her heritage and bring it with her to every meet," said Jim Vollmer, the commissioner of track for Montgomery County public schools." is a load of horse shit if you ask me.

3 comments:

Bryan Vaughan said...

That article really pissed me off. I read about this girl last year - very devout, dedicated, nice girl and phenomenal athlete. She goes two years without anyone doing anything, then they just crush her all of a sudden. People are such biggoted jerks. I hope she gets the chance to run them into the ground.

Kyle Jones said...

I agree with what Bryan says. I think that if someone wants to wear something based upon religious reasons should be allowed (within reason of course)in a sports event.

John P. said...

I didn't read anything bigoted in the article, unless you are bigoted towards multi-colored uniforms. They have rules regarding the colors of the uniforms. (completely stupid ones I might add)

It doesn't have anything to do with her being Muslim from what I see, but it's lame nonetheless. According to their "rules", if her uniform was one solid color???, she'd be ok.