Thursday, April 12, 2007

My life is taking over my life!

My life is taking over my life! I’ve always been extremely involved my whole life in groups and activities and now that all of those extra curriculars attached to school are gone, I’ve done it again with new things. With spring right around the corner (well officially here, but not really) things are starting to pick up even more and everything I picked up over the winter months piled on top it’s looking like it’s going to be a busy next couple of months. My weeknights are basically entirely loaded down with stuff are practically off limits whenever I try to make plans with people and the weekends are quickly filled as well at this point. I’m at the point where I can’t even make time to go out on one of those things that’s been so blatantly missing from my life over the past few months, I think they are called dates?

Alright, so Monday nights: at the moment they are basically free and I’ve been using the time after work to get to the pool and put in some laps. Next week though there is a happy hour for a work organization that I am in co-charge of planning/being at etc and once softball season starts up I will be getting my weekly fix of dog walking at the rescue league.

Tuesdays: Frisbee night on the mall. Easy to blow off, except it is just so much fun to get out and blow off the steam from work/commuting and enjoy some fleeting moments of a beautiful day.

Wednesdays: Dog walking and soon to be softball playing for the team that I am a co-captain and the social organizer for. Not exactly optional.

Thursdays: Bike polo; too much fun to miss! Plus it provides essential practice for bike skills that will translate so well into all of my riding, provides a cheap venue for Thursday night happy hour (a couple of cheap pounders in tow) and like Frisbee is a great way to get out, enjoy the weather and blow off some steam from the week.

Fridays: Sometimes free, but then comes Friday night and weekend plans. Training after work on Fridays always seems extra hard to me, like I just don’t have the energy to get out there and just want to sit down with a burger and a beer at Tonic and bs with some friends.

Saturdays: Afternoon Frisbee, one issue I’ve always had with this game time is it wastes the whole day from any more productive errands that need to be taken care of. Always a good time though.

Sundays: Long bike ride day or soon race day probably. Either way on Sundays I should be out on a long bike or run every week if possible.

For the record, I’m definitely not trying to complain here, I’m just pointing out that there is just not enough time in the day or the week to do everything I want to get done. Unfortunately training will likely take the back seat most often, but I’ve always got lunch time. Another option that I’ve been contemplating and would probably be one of the best available would be to get up earlier and get some workouts in early in the morning on the way to or just before work. The Takoma Park pool opens at 6am and I can run or ride extended routes to work whenever I want. Though no matter what there is always the issue of actually getting up and getting the butt in gear to do it. I’ve just gotta find that 4:30 am wake up mentality I used to have for crew back in school. I mean this guy Dean Karnazes will run all night and then go to work all day, why can’t I get a couple of extra hours in here or there?

No comments: