Monday, October 23, 2006

Hopeless

I'm currently feeling a pretty strong sense of hopelessness with the current government and state of the country. This feeling today was heightened by a glimpse into an area which I would have expected to be just the opposite of what I saw in it. While I know I simply looked at a very small part of this area, it was more then disheartening to see the hard headed arrogance and irrationality that I saw. Before I go on here I warn that this post will likely be very poorly written and very jumpy as I seem to have trouble keeping up with thoughts when I get into this type of issue and tend to jump from one idea to another without realizing it. If you can follow these ramblings then have at it and I will do my best to remain at least somewhat coherent through this. In a previous post I mentioned I wanted to write about more substantial issues but have yet to make it into any of those issues; at least in a public posting. I have many saved drafts which simply did not work so hopefully this post will actually make it live...

Today I took the second half of the day off after a long and busy week of work last week. After reading an article in TIME magazine about Barrack Obama possibly running for president (yes I know it is more of a pr stunt to help promote his book and probably means nothing at this point) it got my mind working a little bit. When I got home from work I logged into good old Facebook to see what kind of groups there might be in the younger social networking scene in support of this truely up and coming congressman. I found one group titled "Barrack Obama for President 2008... If Only" with less then 100 members in it... If only??? Come on; and this is the only group I could find with even this kind of idea and this is supposed to be the "rock star" of the Democratic party according to the TIME article, yet college kids don't even give him the time of day on one of the most popular social networking sites which includes groups such as one with several hundred members claiming that President Bush should have his face added to Mt Rushmore... WTF!!! (I'll get back to that...)

While it is probably a long shot and while I also can't claim to know where he stands on many of the issues (his track record in this do nothing congress doesn't help with this) I think Barrack could just be the fresh breath this country needs after what I think could be the most disasterous and dangerous 8 years of foreign policy this country has ever seen. Maybe we need someone young and "less experienced", especially if less experienced means less corrupt and ruined by our current political environment (this is a nonpartisan bashing at this point). A "young man" who is not yet bought out by the major corporations of our society and steal believes he can change the world (or at least our stumbling country). He's certainly got a far better start then the Cheney administration with Bush and his hands in the oil industry and Cheney and his with Haliburton...

At this point in time I am ready to beg Mr. Obama to run for president in 2008; while the democratic party has a number of very strong candidates possible I think the strongest of those would still remain a long shot. Hillary I believe is seen as too extreme and I am afraid many people would still be unwilling to embrace the isea of a woman president which in this upcoming presidential election would be a tremendous risk considering the possible alternative. Barrack appears to appeal to such a wide range of people and he seems to have proved he has the ability to bring the sides together through his work in congress. I think that a fresh new face for America could work wonders for our world wide image and a new foreign policy with a little less emphasis on whats best for us and a little more emphasis on the world in need could be just what the future of this country needs if it is going to survive to see my generations grand-children. At the rate we are currently going though there is too much ever growing hate for America to have any faith in the safety of our children in this country.

Ok, I'm stopping on this here because I can't even get to the issue I wanted to discuss without getting so frustrated that I fail to make sense and fluster from topic to topic... Maybe some day I'll manage to make it all the way through and maybe I'll even make a point.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I think I can relate to what you're saying...except the tiny white font on the black background became super hard to read after a while. But yeah, I hear you on the Obama for presidenct thing. His book, which I skimmed lighty at Borders the other night, did not have as much depth as I would have liked, and I have very little idea on where he stands on certain issues. And his political career is relatively young. Yet he's got this charisma and attitude that is very attractive, especially to people who are just sick to death of the Bush administration. Whether he would make a good president or not, I think that alone is enough to give Obama a good chance for 2008.

Freewheel said...

Obama is the rock star of the Democratic party. Why wait? I think he should run.