Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The sneak it in ride

This morning, well in about 45 minutes I've got my oral surgeon consultation appointment for my wisdom teeth removal that I've been putting off effectively since I was about 16. Gosh how time flies when you're having fun and NOT having your teeth ripped out! Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

Since it didn't make sense to go into work for an hour or two before leaving for my appointment I took the morning off and decided to get an early morning ride in. Did my go to Ag Center loop with no fluff in it for a round 17 and a half moderate miles. I was surprised when I realized that's my first road ride since MLK Jr./Innaug. weekend. Conditions were similar with temps in the low 20's feeling more like the mid to upper teens and the beaded ice in the beard proved that.

Luckily the sun was out and the majority of my route was surprisingly car-lite so all in all it was a pleasant ride. Like I've said before; I've really got my cold weather riding gear all dialed in down to my ankles. The toes, even on the short sub-twenty miler with smart wool socks and booties on top were still nice and frigid when I returned home. Some day I'll get that part figured out though this winter is too close to finished to bother with looking into any Lake boots... unless of course I can find them on super sale...

One thing today's ride showed me was I really need to get the base miles in starting now. It wasn't bad overall but I definitely could tell I haven't been riding enough, especially long rolling, or worse hilly rides. This weekend Aimee is out of town and I currently have absolutely nothing planned. Looks like the perfect opportunity to bump up my miles for the year substantially. Maybe I'll pass on that Shed ride and just focus on some long mileage instead.

Now off to be poked and prodded. Yum.

No comments: